Wednesday 11 January 2012

Minimalism

In the near future I am moving due to a new job. I'm excited for a new start and I have been toying with the idea to use this new start to introduce some minimalistic ideas into my life.

I have been interested in minimalism for a while now, since reading an article in the Times a few years ago. I love the lack of clutter and the ability to carry all of ones possessions in a few bags, able to go anywhere at the drop of a hat. I doubt at this point in my life (who knows about the future!) that I could be a full blown minimalist, or, for another matter, would I want to? I like shiny pretty, things. I am materialistic and no matter how hard I tell myself that I don't need things, I want them! Even more so, I don't want to get rid of sentimental items. I have items I've brought back from all my travels and I like to use them to remember the good times. I like that you catch sight of them everyday rather than actively looking at photos on a computer screen. I also have quite a lot of equipment for different hobbies that I use but not continuously that I'd never think of getting rid of.

Minimalistic people feel that by living a more simple life they increase their happiness.  I quite like the philosophy of the everyday minimalist who has a non extreme, friendly view on minimalism. There's no way I'll ever get my possessions into two suitcases but I like the idea of it! Therefore... mental battle aside, I think I'm going to try and take minimal possessions with me to start with (as long as my parents don't mind me leaving some things behind) and see how I cope. It'll be like an experiment to see what I really need! I want to make a continual effort to get rid of things that I don't use. I'll let you know how I get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment